Wednesday, November 28, 2018

NMAT Series: What does your percentile rank means

National Medical Admission Test (NMAT) results are out and I hope you reached the score you  aimed for. You might be asking what's the passing grade, the answer is none. There is no passing grade for NMAT, only acceptable NMAT score. Acceptable NMAT score varies on the medical school in the Philippines but the lowest score one needs to qualify is 40 percentile rank, for example, University of the Philippines - College of Medicine (UPCM) accepts applicants with 90 and above percentile rank. Before enrolling, make sure to check the requirements of the medical school of your choice and ensure that you have their preferred NMAT percentile. 

The NMAT is a combination of an IQ test (part 1) and of special area test (Part 2) which will I'll discuss in another blog. I'll also blog on how to ace the NMAT with useful tips that I used when I took it so make sure to follow my blog so you won't miss it. Trust me, you wouldn't want to miss it as I'll spill all the beans and every piece of advise that will be really useful in taking this test.

NMAT score is not easy to understand, I know. In this blog, I'll simplify the explanation for us to understand it better. Your NMAT score is in a form of percentile rank therefore all the test takers are arranged based on their rank in the exam. So if you get a score of 75, it does not mean that you got 75% of the exam correct, it means that you scored better than the 75% of the total takers.  To understand it better, think of it this way, the score you get means that your raw score is higher than that percentage of the takers. Example if you get a percentile rank of 95, it mean that you scored higher than 95% of the test takers and you are in the top 5% of the NMAT takers. Another example, let us say you get 40 NMAT percentile, it means 60% of the takers got higher scores than you while you bested the other 40% of the takers. The highest NMAT score one can get is a 99+ which will surely give you a huge advantage on the med school of your choice.

A lot of people are asking if how many times one is allowed to take the NMAT, the answer is unlimited. NMAT can be taken as many times as you like until you are satisfied with your score. It is not true that your scores will be averaged on your third try or more. That is a complete myth. I am not sure where this news came from but based on what I know, it is not averaged on your 3rd or so on try of the test. This created confusion and worry to the people and I want to clarify that it is not true.

I hope this blog helped you in understanding your NMAT score and feel free to comment below if you have questions and I will be happy to answer it to the best of my ability. Thank you.

Disclaimer: The author is not in any way related/connected to the CEM NMAT Committee This post is only based on personal experience and understanding of the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLM Series: The "secrets" (ways) to get in to PLM Med that no one tells you about

This is the final part of my PLM College of Medicine series. If you haven't read the first 3 blogs about PLM College of Medicine, ...