Thursday, November 08, 2018

Medicine is Ageless

They say "age is just a number" when it comes to love and relationships, well this infamous phrase is applicable even in the field of medicine. I know a lot of you are doubting yourself to proceed with becoming a doctor because of your age, you believe it is 'too late' for you to pursue your medical career.

Let me tell you this, the time will pass anyway (whatever you do, time will pass) so might as well be whoever you wanna be - a medical doctor. It's better to be old and happy rather than be old with full of regrets. Imagine yourself, saving lives and feeling the high of being a doctor versus the feeling of being stuck in a job where you drag yourself everyday to go to, which feels so much better? I want you to think of those who are doubting themselves too because of their age and be an inspiration for them to keep going and get that MD.

As cliche as it may sound but it is never too late, there's no timeline in life in general. Everyone runs at their own pace, in their own perfect time when it is about to happen, it will happen. Trust the timing of your life. You might feel that you're being left behind by everyone else where in fact they are just following their own life timeline. You must remember that life is not a race so as being a doctor. This is not a race wherein the one who gets to the finish line first wins because in medicine, there is no such thing as a finish line. It is a lifelong commitment to be better and help those who are in need. It is an endless learning.

I honestly do not understand why some medical schools have a maximum age (35 y/o) set to pursue such an old profession. On the other hand, I commend those medical schools which allow any age to enter and pursue their dream of becoming a doctor. I heard stories of students who started studying medicine in their mid 20s, late 20s, mid 30s and 50s and I admire them so much for their motivation to becoming a doctor. I have so much respect for these people and I look up to them whenever I lose hope. I gained strength from these passionate individuals to continue and fight this battle. I hope this entry will help you too as much as it helped me. I pray that you do not give up on your dreams just because of your age.

Whatever your reason is for pursuing medicine with your current age is valid. I want to tell you that there's no right or wrong age to become a doctor, because medicine is ageless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLM Series: The "secrets" (ways) to get in to PLM Med that no one tells you about

This is the final part of my PLM College of Medicine series. If you haven't read the first 3 blogs about PLM College of Medicine, ...